Chief Product Officer
Cactus Communications (www.cactusglobal.com ) is a leading provider of communication solutions, including academic and scientific editing, medical communications, publication support services, English language workshops, transcription, and translation. Our company mission is to enable growth through effective communication.
Editage (www.editage.com), a division of Cactus Communications is a consumer-technology business that helps researchers, scientists and doctors overcome barriers of the English language in getting their cutting-edge research published globally. Having worked with over 250,000 scientists globally, supporting almost a million papers, Editage is now working with societies, publishers and universities to help bring the world’s best and most important research to public around the world, thinking beyond the traditional article that has served research publishing for over 2 centuries.
The primary goal of the chief product officer is to help Editage move from being a technology-enabled business to a technology driven business. Over the past 16 years, our technology, which started as being outsourced, has moved to being developed in-house by customizing open-source platforms, to developing our own proprietary platforms from scratch using the latest technologies. We currently have a technology team of about 100 people in well-defined functions and roles. The most exciting thing that the chief product officer is expected to do is to help move us from the current phase of business-users having requirements and technology fulfilling it, to technology knowing and understanding where the business should be going and helping take it there.
You should apply if you are interested in working with a global business (our technology platform is used by customers in 6 languages) and solving problems that will ease global science communication and thereby improve the speed of collaboration and R&D.
Reporting to the Co-founder and CEO, you will be responsible for heading and growing the Product Management function. Some of the key success factors are:
- In Phase 1
- Understand the business and industry and act like a bridge between industry innovation and business
- Liaison with business users across geographies to understand and cater to localization
- Bring in tools and techniques to align business with product design and development
- Be a custodian and bring in business point of view to the product and software development team.
- In Phase 2
- Lead the business strategy and business heads
Lead product, innovation, and roadmap:
- Drive product innovation and product discovery and own the product roadmap
- Own the customer development process, understand (internal & external) user needs, and translate them into product features.
- Define, track and measure feature success metrics and measure. Build fast and fail fast to offer new product features based on user feedback and data.
- Mine through a site, traffic, performance and other data to decide roadmap and feature prioritization.
- Conduct necessary experiments for UI/UX improvements and define delighting factors that will make Insights unique and users sticky.
- Interact regularly with senior leadership of various business verticals for road mapping & MVP definitions.
- Support internal business users and act as the central point of contact between business users and technical team.
- Report release, epic and roadmap progress to relevant stakeholder groups across all offices.
- Lead a team of product managers and data analysts who in turn drive the roadmap for various individual roadmaps.
- Drive overall quarterly roadmap execution
- People person
- Well read about technology, design and UX trends
- A good understanding of user-centric design principles
- Ability to think creatively and strategically, coupled with very strong execution skills
- Strong team player with an energetic, well-rounded personality
- Ability to work at a cross-functional level and be comfortable with interacting with senior leadership
- Great analytical skills with the ability to track and improve product progress using data and qualitative feedback
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills,
- An attitude to get things done and be extremely comfortable working in high-pace, dynamic environment
- In-depth knowledge of software development life cycle with hands-on involvement in past projects preferably AGILE
- Knowledge of agile/ scrum techniques
- Skills with mock-up, analytics & project management tools like Balsamiq, New Relic, Insights, Google analytics, JIRA and basic HTML
- Candidates with good international exposure; Should be educated or have lived and worked abroad for a few years
- Candidates with academia / publishing industry experience
This position reports to CEO/CTO.